Find out about the Board’s latest news

What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It applies when an adult:

  • has needs for care and support
  • is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect, and
  • as a result of those needs is unable to protect himself or herself against the abuse or neglect or the risk of it

Effective safeguarding involves organisations working together to prevent the risks and experience of abuse or neglect, while ensuring that the views and wishes of an individual are at the heart of decisions that affect them wherever it’s possible.

Wiltshire’s Safeguarding Adults Board (WSAB)

The Board is made up of professionals from the local authority, the police, health services and other local organisations. Members work together to prevent abuse and neglect where possible and safeguard vulnerable adults across our county.

Every area in the country has a legal duty to have a Safeguarding Adults Board. Wiltshire’s Board members work alongside the people who use our local services to protect adults who are at risk. Someone might be at risk because they have dementia, a learning difficulty, an illness or a disability – whatever the reason the Board wants to make sure their views are heard and they are protected from harm.

The Board’s independent chairman is Richard Crompton and our members are:

Wiltshire Council
Wiltshire Police
NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group
Wiltshire Care Partnership
Great Western Hospital, Swindon
Royal United Hospital, Bath
Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
Wiltshire Health & Care
The National Probation Service
BGSW Community Rehabilitation Company
Dorset and Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service
SW Ambulance Service NHSFT
Healthwatch Wiltshire
Domiciliary Care Providers Association
Wiltshire & Swindon Users Network
Carers in Wiltshire
Care Quality Commission
NHS England, South Central


This site provides information about how to stay safe and well and how to protect people with care and support needs from abuse and neglect. On these pages you will find:

  • Information and advice for people with care and support needs on how to report a concern
  • Advice for relatives, friends and those who care for people who are vulnerable
  • Information for professionals working in social care, health, the police and other agencies to help you safeguard adults at risk


How do you report a concern?

If you are worried about a vulnerable adult contact the Social Care Help Desk on 0300 456 0111 or email

In an emergency always dial 999.

If you are looking for information about safeguarding children please visit Wiltshire’s Safeguarding Children Board website at

Accessing information

If you are having difficulty reading the information here please find below the content of our webpages in easy-read, text-only format.

Easy access web content